Monday, March 20, 2023

ABS Class research vessel to be fueled by hydrogen fuel cells and diesel-electric power plant.

Well, welcome back to a beginning of a new week!  We hope you enjoyed your weekend! I enjoyed my vacation, but it could have been longer. 

I admit I didn’t read any when I was on vacation, but before I left, I ran into an article about an ABS class vessel which was going to be dueled powered.  The article from Tank News International called, “Hydrogen-Fuelled research vessel to be built to ABS Class” is about a research vessel commissioned by the University of California San Diego’s Scripps Institution of Oceanography and designed by Glosten which will use hydrogen fuel cells for 75 percent of its missions and 25 percent conventional diesel-electric powered power plant for its longer missions.  We thought this was pretty cool in light of the big push for hydrogen as a clean energy source during CERAWeek.  Maybe this is the beginning of more uses for hydrogen, so more people start designing hybrid vehicles!

If you would like to check out the article from Tank News International, please click the link: Hydrogen-Fuelledresearch vessel to be built to ABS Class | Tank News International.

We hope you have a great week!

**Disclaimer – please note there may be a fee involved to see this article in Tank News International or you may have to join. *